I’m starting a new series on my blog where I interview other bloggers on all things related to motherhood/family. This weeks interview is with with Nikki from April & October on baby wearing.
I’m Nikki. I live in California with my three kiddos – Birdie, Tot, and Dumpling. I blog over at April & October.
- When you were pregnant, did you plan on wearing your baby? When I was pregnant, I definitely planned on wearing my baby. All of my babies. My grandmother and my parents wore us, so it was something I was looking forward to doing.
- What do you love about baby wearing? I honestly love everything about babywearing. I love the cuddles and snuggling first off. They are one of a kind. You don’t get those kind of snuggles sitting on the couch. I also love the bonding – the kiddos and I have strong bonds. I like to think it was the babywearing. I love trying out new carriers and the community that has opened up to me because of it. I have made lifelong friends due to this.
- What is the most common comment you receive when you are out and about baby wearing? I always get the “you have your hands full!” comment when I’m out and about. With babywearing, it’s quite the opposite. I’m handsfree due to babywearing.
- How many carriers do you own? Which one’s do you use the most? Honestly, I have quite a few carriers. That’s what over 7 years of babywearing does to you. I don’t ave a favorite favorite, but I have favorites for specific reasons. I have one that I prefer for grocery shopping, one for walks, one when someone is teething. The kids have their favorites too and sometimes they ask for those specific carriers.
- What’s the first thing you’d tell someone thinking about trying baby wearing?The first thing I’d tell someone is how convenient babywearing is! And to not get discouraged, there’s a learning curve. But with a little bit of practice, it’s a great skill to have.
- Have your baby wearing habits changed from your first to your third child?My babywearing habits have changed with each child because they all have their specific needs. They were also born in different seasons, so that makes a difference too.
- What baby carrier would you recommend to someone who is just starting out with baby wearing? The baby carrier that I would recommend right off the bat is probably a ring sling. It’s incredibly versatile. I used the same one with my newborn and my preschooler.
- What’s your all time favorite baby carrier and why? It’s hard to pick an all-time favorite. I have a few companies that I use on a regular basis.
- And lastly, what’s your favorite babywearing photo? This one is tough, but probably this one: