I want to start blogging about my struggle with infertility and decided to an intro post to my story so far. Ever since I was a little girl, I have always wanted to be a mom. I used to play with dolls, then I would baby sit, ended up getting my degree in Early Childhood Development and working with kids because I love children so much. I never thought starting a family of my own would be so hard.
My fiancé and I found out we were pregnant the first time in May 2016. At first, we were so shocked but as it became more and more real, we were so excited! We ended up finding out at our first ultrasound that we had a blighted ovum (no baby really ever developed). We were so upset but we definitely wanted to try again when we were able.
This past January, we found out we were pregnant the second time. We were so excited! We had a trip to Seattle and I started spotting so when we got home, I went to the doctor’s and had an ultrasound and we got to see the baby and its heartbeat. It was so amazing actually seeing that because last time we never had that. Unfortunately at our next ultra sound in March, we found out the baby stopped growing shortly after we saw the heartbeat and we miscarried again.
Getting Help From Doctors
My ObGYN decided to refer us to a fertility doctor because she knew our story (they usually doesn’t refer people until after 3 miscarriages). So I made an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist and he ran some blood work and scheduled me for a hysterosonography. The hysterosonography came back normal but the blood work showed that I have diminished ovarian reserve (DOR). Usually women who have DOR are older and close to menopause. DOR also means the egg quality isn’t super great, which may explain the miscarriages.
Having the diagnosis of DOR was heartbreaking just because it’s not something I can change. I can’t create more eggs since we women are born with the amount of eggs they will have in their lifetime. My doctor recommended DHEA and said it may improve egg quality. He said it may take a couple of months for it to work. He also suggested IVF, but that we would need to biopsy each egg to make sure it’s viable given the DOR and that’s an additional cost (he estimated around $25k) and it’s not a guarantee.
So… What Now?
So we have decided that we will try again naturally. I started taking DHEA and hope that helps. If we cannot conceive naturally, we have decided that we will adopt. Both of us have always wanted to adopt and plan on doing that even if we have a biological child.
I definitely plan on blogging about our journey. Hopefully we can help each other out!