I finally have some time to sit at the computer and type this up! It definitely has been a rough recovery but I wanted to share my birth story with you all! I’m going to do it in 2 posts due to the fact that it was a really long labor! The picture above was my last picture with baby in my tummy taken before we left for the hospital.
Because I’m high risk, I was scheduled to be induced on May 30 at 8PM. My husband and I got there around 7:45PM and they got us in our room and situated pretty fast! Once I got in my gown, they wanted to start me on an IV. I know I don’t have the greatest veins, so I was drinking water all day to try and get ready for the IV. Unfortunately, it still took 6 tries before they finally got one to stick and they even had to use a smaller gauge.
The plan was to take cytotec every 4 hours for a total of 4 doses. We started that once we got there and by the end of the last dose, there wasn’t much change. At this point, it had been 16 hours already! They wanted to do another dose but I had told the nurse that during my first miscarriage, cytotec didn’t really work for me. I mentioned trying cervidil so she went and talked to the doctor and we got that started at around 3PM on May 31. With cervidil, that needs to stay in for 12 hours so we were stuck waiting again. As we were approaching 3AM, I started getting some contractions. At 3AM, they took the cervidil out and checked me and I was progressing! I was about 3CM at that point. They started me on pitocin at that point to help labor along.
Around 5:20AM on June 1, the doctor came and broke my water. Things really started to pick up then! At around 8:30AM, I got my epidural and I felt so much better. I was so worried about that going into this but when you’re in that much pain, I would’ve taken anything to help. The nurse would check me every 2-3 hours and my cervix was really soft and ready to go, they were just waiting for me to dilate. By 5PM, I was around 8CM dilated and things were starting to look really good. We were hopeful that by 8PM, I’d be fully dilated and ready to push!
However at 8PM, I was still only 8CM dilated. At this point, my water had been broken for about 15 hours. They don’t want you to go too long after having your water broken due to the risk of infection for you and baby. So I told my nurse that if by 11:30PM I still hadn’t progressed, that we should just do a c-section. I really was hopeful that by 11:30PM, I would be fully dilated.
Stay tuned for part 2!